Awareness is available to all races.
These rules apply to rolling Awareness to detect the use of a supernatural power.
- They apply to anything in the 'Powers' section of a PC's +sheet, as well as magic items in +equip or +notes.
- They do not apply to other uses of supernatural pools (e.g. Garou spending Rage for extra actions).
- They do not apply to other uses of Awareness (e.g. demons rolling Manipulation+Awareness to cast Lore of Firmanent 4).
When can you roll Awareness?
- Each player with Awareness can roll Perception + Awareness once per effect.
- Players without Awareness cannot roll Perception by itself.
- Awareness itself is not a power and can not be sensed by Awareness or other powers.
- Awareness can only be rolled when an effect has activated.
- Example: A standing rote that deflects flying anvils does not grant an awareness check. When that same rote actually deflects an anvil, it grants an awareness check.
- To roll Awareness, the player must be in the same room as the source or victim of the effect.
- Power without an obvious level: Treat as level 1, but discuss with staff afterward
- +1 difficulty if the power is used only for sensing
- -1 difficulty if the power is targeting the player doing the roll
Degrees of Success
|1||Gives the player a sense that 'something' has happened, but not what/where/degree of effect.|
|2|| The player knows what happened, but not where/degree of effect. Examples:
|3|| Player knows what happened/location of the source/and degree of effect.
|4|| Player knows what/where/degree of effect and some extra insight into the power used.
|5|| Player knows what/where/degree of effect and has a full understanding of the result. This is not the same as understanding the power itself.
Understanding the nature of powers requires the appropriate Lore at 3.
- e.g. "Bob's mind has been influenced" vs. "Bob's mind has been influenced by a vampire using Dominate"
Spending Mana to lower the difficulty of rolls via the Flow of Ki, the Force of Spirit, and the Strength of Psyche merits provokes an Awareness check at difficulty 10.
This partly overrides DtF 172.
- If the demon is in the same room as the source or victim, then use the above rules.
- Otherwise, the demon must be actively trying to sense a power, and must have some idea what they're looking for. ("Someone approaching my house", "someone in town targeting me", "someone doing something in this PRP" are all okay. "Anyone in town doing anything" is not, as it would be impractical to enforce.)
- Ability: Awareness, not Alertness.
- Difficulty: Use the above rules.
- Results: Limited to the chart from DtF 172.
- Range: Up to (demon's Faith) miles (DtF 172) from source or victim.
- Duration: Up to (demon's Faith) hours after the power was used.