See IC Awakening Guidelines Sketch
- For every two ongoing effects that you're maintaining, you are +1 difficulty to any further effect. (MtA 155) For ongoing effects lasting a month or more, staff will set an +effect for 'Rotes' to help keep track of this.
- Spark of Life: If you and someone else are both in perfect health, then physical contact just feels good. Really, unusually, addictively so, depending how long it's kept up.
- Twin Souls: The "additional measure of Quintessence" is equal to the higher Avatar rating between the twins. (Twins with 3 and 2 have a total joint pool of 3+2+3=8. Twins with 4 and 4 have a total of 4+4+4=12.)
- Set "Geas (flaw)" to 1-5. More burden to avoid violating it = more points, but can't exceed whatever it's attached to.
- If attached to a merit or background, set that normally and add a +note.
- If attached to another flaw, add a +note, but don't add the flaw to +sheet (staff will perform the swap if/when the geas is violated).
- Confidence: Both modifiers depend on someone trying to mislead or intimidate you.
| Node level
|| Quint per week
|| Tass per month
|| Magick difficulty
Quintessence cannot be stockpiled, except by transferring it into an object (creating Tass) or mage or periapt. Tass may be stockpiled up to three months.
Creating or increasing the power of a node requires Prime 5.
Large nodes (4+) are subject to staff discretion. A mage's Node background may correspond to two or more smaller nodes, but they won't be right next door to each other; consider how much territory you can reliably defend.
Seeing through illusions
In order to pierce mental illusions/effects of any kind (such as Obfuscate, Chimerstry, Dementation, and unless otherwise specified in the rules), a Mage must:
- Have activated a Mind 2 defensive effect beforehand.
- Roll Perception + Awareness vs 7 against the power's dice pool vs 7.
- When the effect doesn't have dice pool, roll <Level of power/gift/item> + Subterfuge vs 7.
- Ties are in favor of the illusion/effect.
- The mage must be actively searching to pierce an effect/illusion or detect an invisible person. (See: +rules sniping)
Normally, a Seeking is required for a Mage to increase their Arete. Instead, we limit the rate. The XP cost is also house-ruled.
|| Minimum time
| 1 to 2
|| 1 month
| 2 to 3
|| 3 months
| 3 to 4
|| 6 months
| 4 to 5
|| 8 months
A mage who studies a Grimoire/Principia can raise Arete sooner, see '+rules grimoire' for details.
The time limits do not apply to a character who Awakens after chargen, as Awakening can take you straight to Arete 2 or 3 (MtA 124).
These rules pertain to the Device, Enhancement, and Requisitions backgrounds.
Each item has a level value (L) and a "Background Cost" value (B).
- "Background Cost" or "Background Points" or "Points" counts as B.
- Any other comprehensive level value (including Device, Arete/Enlightenment, or dot symbols without a word label) counts as L.
- If B is not explicitly stated, then B = L*2.
- If only B is explicitly stated, then L = B/2 (rounded up).
- If multiple values are present and not in a 2:1 ratio, then B = largest value and L = B/2 (rounded up).
N dots in the Device background gives N items, costed using L.
N dots in the Requisitions background gives 5*N items, costed using B.
- PCs can roll Requisitions to try for more.
- Requisitions are reviewed at staff and/or PC leader discretion.
N dots in the Enhancement background gives one of the following:
- 3*N cybernetics, costed using B.
- 3*N biomods, costed using B.
- Total of +N to one or more allowed stats (Guide to the Technocracy 182).
Additional restrictions on Enhancement:
- Cybernetics and stat boosts can't be combined.
- Biomods (including biomod versions of cybernetics) can be combined with either cybernetics or stat boosts.
- Each dot allocated to cybernetics requires 1 dot of permanent Paradox.
- Each dot allocated to stat boosts requires 1 genetic flaw (examples at Guide to the Technocracy 230-232).
- Each dot allocated to biomods requires either 1 permadox or 1 genetic flaw.
If a mage effect would otherwise be difficulty 9+N (after applying all modifiers), roll at diff 9 and cancel N successes. If this cancels all successes, it's only a botch if the mage rolled a 1. For extended effects, apply this rule to each roll individually.