Mage Lore - This is an unofficial basic guide to Mage Lore. If you only know a little bit about mages, but the specific sphere of Correspondence has come up, you don't have to buy Lore 3 to have that particular bit of knowledge.
Mage Lore 1
- Magic reflects the mage's desires, imposed on the world.
- There are different factions of Mages that are warring with each other.
- Knows that magic is divided into different Spheres.
- Knows that obvious use of magic can have unexplainable side effects.
- Knows that non-mages are called Sleepers.
- Might have heard of insane Mages.
- Knows that you should stay away from Nephandi.
Mage Lore 2
- Knows that the Technocracy wants to abolish all magic.
- Knows that Marauders are insane Mages.
- Might have some rough knowledge of what the different Traditions are.
- Might have heard of Quiet.
- Knows that Nephandi are a sect of demon worshipers.
- Knows that there are 9 Traditions with different types of magic.
- Believes that foci are critical tools to manipulating reality.
- Might have heard the phrase Consensual
- Knows of the Rule of Shade.
- Might have heard oblique references to something called Ascension.
- Knows that the Awakened recently suffered some devastating event.
- Has a good general idea of what the different spheres encompass.
- Has heard of some of the different Protocols.
- Has heard of Quintessence, Tass, and possibly other specific terms.
- Might have heard of different types of magic (static and dynamic)
- Might have heard rumors that if magic is possible, other creatures may haunt the night as well.
- Has heard some of the horror stories relating to their side of the Ascension War.
Mage Lore 3
- Knows that the Avatar is what makes a Mage truly Awakened.
- Understands the difference between Vulgar and Coincidental Magic.
- Knows the names, descriptions, and sphere associations of the 9 Traditions;
- Can describe the 9 spheres and their functions.
- Knows what their own spheres are capable of at Intermediate levels.
- Has heard of the Avatar Storm and disappearance of the Masters and Archmages.
- Can name a Convention or two.
- Knows how Resonance can hinder or help a Mage's magic.
- Knows that the Concensus determines what's vulgar and what isn't.
- Knows all of the Protocols.
- Has heard that the Technocracy was once called the Order of Reason.
- Has a rough knowledge of the history of the Ascension War.
- Knows that the Nephandi are Mages who have sold their souls to demons.
- Knows why one's paradigm is critical to how one performs magic.
- Knows that there are different planes of reality.
- Knows that the Metaphysical Trinity is composed of the forces of Stasis, Dynamism, and Entropy.
Mage Lore 4
- Knows the difference between static and dynamic magic. (I.E. between hedge mages and true mages.)
- Knows what their own spheres are capable of at the Advanced level;
- Has at least anecdotal knowledge of what many Master-level spheres are capable of;
- Has a passing knowledge of Linear magic;
- Can name several Conventions, and is familiar with legends of Marauders and Nephandi;
- Can point to some of the differences between pre and post-Storm political structures in the Traditions.
- Has detailed knowledge of the Protocols of the Council;
- Has a notion of what Oracles and Ascension may represent.
- Has heard rumors of how some of the other semi-awakened beings view mages.
- Knows the truth behind some of the horror stories of the Technocracy.
- Knows the difference between a Construct and a Cabal.
- Has heard of some of the Shard Realms of the Umbra.
- Knows which of the Trinity different factions of Mages might be associated with.
- Knows of a famous Chantry or two (Doissetep, Horizon).
Mage Lore 5
- Has heard of a few Crafts;
- Knows the difference between Linear magic and Dynamic Magick;
- Is familiar with Technocracy structure and tactics;
- Knows the Mythic Ages can never be brought back;
- Can describe several Horizon Realm Chantries and a few of the more (in)famous Constructs.
- Likely to be or have been a major player in the Ascension War
- Has some information on what Archmages, Exemplars, and Oracles were capable of.
- Knows that the Traditions and the Technocracy are working towards similar goals, in different ways.